venerdì 2 agosto 2019

Sounds from underground/File N°78

<<Uboa>> is an Australian solo noise project. Beside of curious and elaborated soundscapes we'll find there also very cool vocals and the atmospheres you can drown inside. highly recommended 



name of the band
Uboa
where are you from?
Melbourne, Australia 
what kind of instruments/equipment you use? do you use some particular record technique? which is your method of composition?
Instrumentally, I use computers, synth, voice + voice loops, noisemaker pedals, found percussion, field recordings, baritone + bass + acoustic guitar, zither, drums… the list goes on. Everything I can get my hands on! Recording wise I do everything at home, mostly directly to ableton but also occasionally use tape recorders (dichtophone) to deliberately lower the fidelity (say on some of the vocal takes on The Origin). Compositionally, I fit every song within the context of a release as a whole, and often use graphic scores to write down the pacing and intensity of the piece. Vocals and lyrics usually are last in the process.
What is your relationship with media and mediatic culture?
I’m shy, I generally just hide in my bedroom and am usually overwhelmed by any attention I receive. I was really overwhelmed by the reception The Origin got, as I just put it up as an LP I made procrastinating from the one I have been working on for the last 3-4 years, so I didn’t expect it to go so well. 
What do you think about the form of album? Is it still valid or the digital era somehow cancelled the necessity of the specific form - like Lp or Ep?
Absolutely not. I think an overall structure (a “release”) is necessary to contextualise many songs, especially shorter ones which deviate from a pop structure. I always fit my songs together very carefully for a release, both transitions between songs and the order of them, keeping in mind the pacing of the overall thing. However, that being said, there is still a place for songs outside of a release structure, and plenty of room for new types of release structures beyond the EP and LP format.
Where usually you find/hear new music?
Usually social media, sometimes spotify playlists, recommendations on blogs and labels and of course looking at what my friends make. 
what do you think about the music context nowadays and how you place yourself in? do you feel a part of any scene?
Not quite. I used to consider myself part of a group of noise musicians who use hi-fi production techniques and plenty of atmospherics, such as Purgist, Micheal Ellingford, MAAAA, Yasuhito Fujinami etc, but I think I am a little too poppy these days, especially because I use a lot of vocals and increasingly have more conventional songwriting. At home, there are various groups I play shows with that I seem to shift between - breakcore artists, lo-fi pedal noisers, sound artists and post-metal bands. I kinda slide between categories and thats the way I like it.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento