domenica 1 maggio 2016

Sounds from underground/File N°040

a bit of noise pop by <<Tatiana Butts>>. lovely lo-fi attitude and nice melodies.  stay tuned!


0. name of the band
I'm a solo artist, and I haven't collaborated with anybody yet. my name is Tatiana Butts but you can refer to me as Tatiana :)
1. where are you from?
I'm originally from Canada and I have family all over the world, but I currently live in Italy.
2. what kind of instruments/equipment you use? do you use some particular record technique? which is your method of composition?
as for instruments, I use my guitar & my voice (planning to get an electric drum set soon though!) and I seriously don't use any special equipment, I have my guitar amplifier and I use GarageBand on my MacBook Pro, my phone, and a set of headphones. I've only recently started making music and I can't afford buying expensive things right now so I try making songs with what I have.
my method of composition is writing my lyrics (I get ideas throughout the day which I make sure to write on a piece of paper and then into my songbook) then I come up with a melody and record it with my voice & guitar. sometimes I record spontaneously without even writing anything, like I did for "the back of basil's head".
3. what do you think about the music context nowadays and how you place yourself in? do you feel a part of any scene?
I think popular music nowadays is stirring towards hip-hop, electronic, "alternative rock" (i put this in quotation marks because i feel like this term has become very diluted, as many bands are referred to with this term to seem edgy and cool, when in reality their music resembles pop much more, but that's a different topic) and of course, pop, as always. as much as i do enjoy those genres when i'm in a particular mood, or just hanging out with my friends in general, i feel as though i do not belong in those categories as an artist. when i am alone, i tend to listen to lo-fi, noise pop, garage, fuzz, beach goth, funk and various similar genres. i do not feel like i can categorise my music in any sort of box because i love to experiment with different sounds, noises, lyrics and techniques. i am quite new to actually creating music, therefore i definitely do not feel part of any scene. (only very few of my friends & family know about my music because I'm to embarrassed haha)
4. do you think that nowadays has still sense talking about "underground"?
yes! i think many "underground" musicians can be found on bandcamp or on the internet in general, as they're free methods of expanding your fanbase. there are many similar artists to me and they use the same cheap quality instruments and equipment as me, as opposed to famous people who can afford to use high quality equipment. that's what's underground to me.
5. do you play live? how public react to your music?
I do not play live (yet)
6. Genesis P-Orridge said "Our records were documents of attitudes and experiences and observations by us and other determinedly individual outsiders. Fashion was an enemy, style irrelevant.". What do your records represent to you?
whenever i feel something, whether that being happiness, sadness, anger, weakness, strength... i write. i love to write poems, and that's how i express myself. i never used to show anything to people because i fear that when i put out my art, i lose control of it. rather than being in my hands, the control goes into the hands of my audience, who will always have a reaction, whether it be positive or negative. i used to fear that reaction. i recently, i gave up worrying about this reaction, so I've turned my poems into songs as an easier way of listening to what i have to say rather that reading it. to conclude, i can surely state that my reason for making music is to express myself and relate to other people who feel the same.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento