martedì 9 agosto 2016

Sounds from underground/File N°049

sometimes all you need is a noisy guitar. cause it's beautiful and authentic. and also because there's less guys that can play it as it should be done than you think. it's why you'll love <<Greg White>>. it seems simply but it goes directly to your stomach and then you know that you'll close yourself in your bedroom with his records for a long time. don't forget to pass it to your friends. 


0. name of the band
My name is Greg White, and this is my solo music.
1. where are you from?
I'm from Montreal, QC, and have also lived in Rochester, NY.
2. what kind of instruments/equipment you use? do you use some particular record technique? which is your method of composition?
I'm a big fan of Fender equipment. I normally use a Fender Telecaster and Fender Precision Bass, and occasionally a Squier Strat. My amp is a Fender Frontman that was given to me from a friend a few years ago. I also have a Yamaha acoustic guitar. In terms of recording, I use Reaper on my computer and run a Shure SM57 or an MXL condenser mic into an audio interface. It's not a very high-budget setup, but it suits my needs. Composition really depends on the song, but it generally involves me messing around with some sort of chord progression or melody, or from playing around with different effects and seeing what kind of sounds I can make. I also draw a lot of inspiration from my environment.
3. what do you think about the music context nowadays and how you place yourself in? do you feel a part of any scene?
The modern "context" of music is really incredible because of all the access to music, both in terms of listening to it and in terms of creating it. So many great musicians are able to distribute music super easily, and I think that's a really great thing. As of right now, I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm part of a "scene," although I guess I could be lumped into the whole "DIY basement" kind of thing. I feel comfortable there!
4. do you think that nowadays has still sense talking about "underground"?
Even today I think that underground music is still happening, and that it's a very strong community. Like I said earlier, I think that the widespread access to music is definitely beneficial not only in bringing music from the underground to the surface, but also in expanding the underground to an even larger, more deeply connected community. Does that make sense?
5. do you play live? how public react to your music?
I haven't played any of my stuff live yet. I can't wait!
6. Genesis P-Orridge said "Our records were documents of attitudes and experiences and observations by us and other determinedly individual outsiders. Fashion was an enemy, style irrelevant.". What do your records represent to you?
My records are a way of trying to express myself in a medium that I enjoy. They're a way of looking back and thinking, "wow, I can remember the situations I was in around the time that was recorded." Records hold memories. And, most of all, they're a way of having a lot of fun.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento