martedì 29 marzo 2016

Sounds from underground/File N°027

happy Easter, even if it passed. today we'll talk about screwed sounds, that have something to do with vaporwave, that has something to do with really crazy compositions. <<ClearVisionDream Productions>> propose us his surreal world made with sounds collages. really worth to check out, listen for hours and at the end pass it to your friends.


0. name of the band
ClearVisionDream Productions
1. where are you from?

The Internet
2. what kind of instruments/equipment you use

I use a combination of different types of software and plug-ins, mostly for FL Studio. I do occasionally experiment with some other programs like Audacity or even Speakonia (text to speech software). Plug-ins I use heavily include SliceX (for manipulating samples), and Sytrus for sound production. I've also done some live mixing heard heavily on releases like "Soul Extraction" and "A Proponent of Change". For mixing I use random apps that I download to my phone like DJ studio 5.
3. what do you think about the music context nowadays and how you place yourself in? do you feel a part of any scene?

I think that there is no clear cut context in music today, once you look past mainstream media at least. In the underground you hear a plethora of sounds and styles. In EDM wonky and future house seems to be a general trend, but I really feel like the way they categorize musicians today is completely bogus. You can show someone 5 different wonky artists and they all sound completely different. You see genres today are blanket terms, because there are so many different styles and directions people are going in.
I think this has to do with myself to. If I had to place my music somewhere, I would say its vaporwave (generally), but there's really more under the hood then just that.I want to say that really only my first two releases are "classically" vaporwave, and all the albums following are something post-that. Sure the production style is similar and some of the motifs are there, but I don't really hear anything like the music I release, and that was partially the idea. If I can't add something new or unique to the mix, I won't release it.
4. which is your method of composition?

Whenever I think of a composition, I always approach it as an idea or a theme. I have an idea in my head (usually with a faint idea of what kind of album artwork I want), and I start to quietly brainstorm for a few days. Through my head I think of what emotion I want to be expressing to the listener, or what combination of sounds and styles I want to amalgamate (shove together). I think of what musical styles I want to jam, and how I want it to sound from a broad perspective.
Then I sit down with my computer and let the flood gate doors explode open. I use every resource I possibly can, the Internet is my gateway into anything I could imagine. I start pulling all these sounds together from youtube and start looking up all these different pictures to get me into the mood I'm going for. On some days I can lay a release down in 2-4 hours. Some releases took me months. I tend to like the releases I've done that were spur of the moment, and where I had a certain flow going. As an example when I wrote "The Mirror Shows No Reflection", I had a very easy time with production. Something just felt right when I was making it and nostalgia, beauty, discord, and apathy blended into a perfect reflection of what I was feeling. Now I don't expect everyone to "get" my music or anything like that, but for me it was a perfect reflection of how I felt in that moment, in that time.
5. how is your recording approach? do you use some particular record technique?

I think I already covered this mostly. Sound collage, chopped and screwed, sound manipulation, to name a few styles of production.
6. do you play live? how public react to your music?

Remember Boogie at the Hypermall? of course not, not many people did. The first promise of a live vaporwave concert with headline acts played in an abandoned mall! It was too good to be true!, truly... because it never happened. It died like most things vaporwave do die, in an anticlimactic fizzle. But I was excited at the idea of playing to a live audience, I had my whole setup ready, but it just never happened. Maybe something will come up again and I'll go for it but I just don't see it. CVDP is a side project for me and my real life gets way too hectic for anything else sometimes, but you never know. Boogie at the ultra-mall? I can dream can't I.
As far as how people react? I really have no idea. I know my most popular release was "Memory Cards", but I think its one of my most accessible releases. I think a lot of people don't know what to make of my music, because its really far out there in left field. I either get, "Oh that CVDP, such a wildcard", or "I hate you with a passion", so its a bit varied haha. So this is to the readers, I welcome feedback!, I really do want to know what you guys think about what I'm doing.
7. Genesis P-Orridge said "Our records were documents of attitudes and experiences and observations by us and other determinedly individual outsiders. Fashion was an enemy, style irrelevant.". What do your records represent to you?

My records represent the inner thoughts and feelings that I could never express to anybody in real life. The real emotions stirring that I realize through art. I could never have the opportunity to express myself completely free of barriers like I can with CVDP. I think that my releases are very raw and real. When I posted on the vaporwave subreddit that I was quitting the project it was because I was so emotionally invested in the music that I couldn't handle myself. After releasing the string of releases between "Intrepid Space" and "A Proponent of Change", something snapped in me because it was such heavy and disturbing music. So with my recent releases I toned it down a bit haha, but its really been a crazy ride.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento