lunedì 29 febbraio 2016

Sounds from underground/File N°023


here we come with a new music genre - Noise-hop. A phenomenon that came to me directly from the Internet scene and in this post will be represented by <<Plebs & Fuckboys>>. As any underground genre it's a free mix of different influences, from avant-garde to hip-hop, and the spoken poetry on a tasteful mash of sounds, I must admit, is quite interesting. more tracks you can find on their bandcamp https://plebsandfuckboys.bandcamp.com/
 

0. name of the band
Plebs & Fuckboys.

1. where are you from?
Ripdae: The Band? The Internet. Ripdae La Wise? The U.S. Dropkick? Canada.
Nickk: What rip basically said, we're a cyberspace collective, which is becoming more and more common today

2. what kind of instruments/equipment you use?
Ripdae: Varies from Garage Band app, to what some say is 'actual use of instruments & not pretending to be a musician with an app'
Nickk: Basically, my bass guitar on occasion, a lot of midi & a lot of effects, run through massive, acid & reaper. For the noise, I'll usually circuit bend or on occasion loop a lot of effects all at once. For our albums theres also a lot of looping, chopping & glitching random sound samples we find online

3. what do you think about the music context nowadays and how you place yourself in? do you feel a part of any scene?
Ripdae: I think the context of music nowadays is something humanly special, like all the musical epochs before it. We are apart of the transgressive scene or in other words 'new age-Dada', whatever the fuck that means.
Nickk: I think music today is largely responding to and coming to terms with the phenomena of the internet and is full of movements both mixing up previously isolated scenes and sounds, in addition to, from that, diversifying into new scenes. Music today is more often than not full of more and more attempts to be experimental and try and get away from the monkier or "pop". Theres numerous emergent electronic music scenes and communities, and the transgressive, nihilistic, and bizarre is seemingly on the rise (like have you heard heroine-pop or stuff like grimes? If not that, black metal or really fucked up trap music seems to be on the rise). Id probably place us in a sort of industrial revival or noise-hop scene- the experimental backpage of things. We thrive on the nihilism and experimentation- without its popularity, we'd probably be in the backshadows. We're transgressive as hell, and if there is a singular scene of ours we want to call our own- its a genre of transgressive art that we're trying to solidify as a movement. Call us a transgresive sonic division, but that's where I'd place us

4. which is your method of composition?
Ripdae: Depends on what I'm into creating that day, & what I'm into creating it with.
Nickk: For me I go through manic phases, where for like numerous days I'll just make music non-stop at an alarming rate, then burn out for a few days, then repeat the cycle- drawing on a lot of themes I feel from horror & snuff movies I watch inbetween

5. how is your recording approach? do you use some particular record technique?
Ripdae: I record my vocals & a lot of what I choose to sample with my iPhone.
Nickk: On occasion I'll hear some noise I enjoy in real life and record that on my phone- otherwise its all done with amateur equipment at home (since most of it is circuit bending or additional noise, and some bass on occasion, pretty easy). Most of what I do is midi on my computer or done in acid anyways

6. do you play live? how public react to your music?
Ripdae: Have not played live yet, but we plan on it. The public will react however they want. Not an issue.
Nickk: I hope people like us, but I hope more that we actually elicit a fun pulse

7. Genesis P-Orridge said "Our records were documents of attitudes and experiences and observations by us and other determinedly individual outsiders. Fashion was an enemy, style irrelevant.". What do your records represent to you?
Ripdae: Our records represent us, & so much more.
Nickk: A transgressive spirit, birthed in a nihilistic abyss, both humorous and sometimes terrifying- or so I'm told. For me it represents accepting, celebrating, and reveling in the transgressive chaos of life- and our music and art is tool to attempt to manifest monument to that




Kitsunii x Plebs & Fuckboys Split cover art

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento