domenica 24 aprile 2016

Images from underground/File N°008

art of <<Hedvig Sebestyén>> is a wonderful trip in some kind of surreal but at the same time tangible world. On every piece you can find the explosions of colors and meanings. Love.
More works you'll find on Sebestyén facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SebestyenHajdiArt
 

1. where are you from?
I am from Budapest that is the hectic and two-faced capital of Hungary, a small and quite chaotic little country in Middle Eastern Europe with a confusing and incomprehensible political system. We are most likely famous for our strong and delicious wines and spirits, our non existing social network and high suicide rate as well as our revolutions in the past and our partake in WW2 on the wrong side. Historians say we origin from the East and living in a ring of Slavic and Germanic peoples we have never been able to find our place. Might be like this. First image that comes to my mind is that Hungary is like a hysterical, aging but lovable bitch, which is amazing in its own way. 
 2. do you use any particular tools/materials/methods during the working process?
Actually I use everything traditional like pen, pencil, acrylic, water colors, oils, crayons etc. and I occasionally mix all these with some more personal materials, like blood, saliva, wine, and industrial paints, brick and metal pieces, plants and glues when I make a picture. I sometimes “hide” different things behind the layers of paint, such as scratches and cuts, screws, nails and newspaper cuttings as well as I touch the canvas or paper with my different body parts to “make it mine”. The reason for all this is that art for me is like making love should be; it must be personal, passionate, wholehearted, exciting, irregular and spontaneous as long as the partners – in these cases me and the pictures – agree on that but the picture and I both have to keep secrets from each other. I very often apply the paint with my fingers and instead of water I spit on the canvas to mix the colors. In the future I am planning to learn new techniques, like body painting and tattoo as nothing is more intimate and sacral than using another person’s skin.

 

3. how is your working process?
My working procedure – talking about sacral – usually starts with a special mindset. I just feel that “something” wants to be born. I simply sit down/lie down/ stand up and start with a chosen technique that fits my mood. Halfway through the process a poem or some words are formed in my mind. I often cry or laugh or shout and sing or dance while drawing. Time disappears and by the end of the process I know what the topic or title would be and I realize what I wanted to express. To be honest this whole procedure is still mysterious for me. Since my early teens it has been like this. I usually work fast. It is exceptionally rare that I work on the same thing for two days or more. One more thing, I take my dreams very seriously. I try to remember every one of them as they serve as excellent trigger points and sources of inspiration for my artworks. 

 

4. what do you think about the art market nowadays?
I have a really cynical approach towards art market. To be honest I think art cannot be a job or a business. What I experience these days is that with the widespread of Internet traditional galleries will be in serious trouble. The same applies to music and performing arts. The original model – that is take a talented person and form a star then sell his/her works for enormous amounts of money and ignore all the other talents – simply has to die out like dinosaurs. Art market is outdated as people learn about artistic processes from first hand. There are loads of very talented people out there who should get compensation for their art activity but I rather believe in barter. I give my pictures as presents to where “they are loved”. If they give something in return, I say thank you. Of course “applied art, commission” is something different. 

 

5. do you exhibit your works? how do you place yourself in actual art context?
Yes, it happens that I exhibit my works but to be honest I get much more feedback when I post them in art groups. Exhibition is a symbol of opening or closing a new artistic period and also important that viewers can “touch” and be “touched” by the originals and party with the artist. I do not wish to place myself in the actual art context as it would mean I put my art into a category and I would never do that to any feeling creature on earth. 









6. is there a common idea that go across all your works?
Yes, I do have some central ideas that I maniacally try to digest and work with. Basically that is the fact that we were all born here in this amazingly beautiful prison planet where we struggle to find the right way or we give up or we simply sell our souls. I am obsessed with the idea that there is something beyond or over this world that gives us the freedom of choice. As we have to serve our sentence and learn from it. Who knows we might come back here several times to understand our lesson. Hence human relations and with all creatures around us are always returning in my works as well as emotions and spiritual feelings. As we “cannot wash our faces alone in ourselves”. I try to express that struggling and pain and death are strongly linked to our human existence. That can be a reason why people say I am either maniac or depressed. Actually this can be true.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento